Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fun with Family (aka . . . are you ready for this . . . 41 pictures?)

Grandma and Grandpa Scow came to visit in mid-June. Pa's annual home improvement project this year was helping Jeff install new lights in our living room ceiling. Jeff did the hard work crawling around in the attic covered in insulation and sweat. Now I no longer have the lamp-with-no-shade (it's been broken 3 or 4 times), I can dim the lights, and I can turn on the lights from the front door entrance and from the hallway (these two locations were previously not an option). It's pretty awesome. Jeff is amazing. I tell him what I would like, he figures out how to do it (time permitting), and he gets it done.

I digress. After the work was done we played. We attended the Viola Gopher Count Day Parade for the second year in a row. We spent a day at Whitewater State Park (only about 20 minutes away) where we played at a small beach (thanks for scoopin' the poop Jeff) and hiked a small hill.


We celebrated Father's Day with Pa and Mimi. A yummy cookies 'n cream cake with Sam's SUPER-DAD stick guy he made at church for decoration.


Three days after Pa and Mimi flew home, Aunt Melissa flew to Minnesota to help us make the drive to Salt Lake. We picked her up from the airport, packed the car that night, and left early the next day. Here's Sam sleeping the next morning for about an hour with his blanket on his head. They were so great in the car on all stages of the journey.


A few days after we'd been in Salt Lake Sam decided to be a dare-devil (again) and ride his cousin's skateboard. He biffed it hard and broke his glasses. Thankfully they were under warranty so I wasn't too mad. His forehead and nose looked about as bad as his busted eyewear. We had a wedding in a couple of weeks so I told him to pray hard that it would heal quickly for pictures.

He had to go the whole vacation without glasses. It was hard for me to remember not to pester him about putting them on or asking him constantly where his glasses were. This is post-accident before scabbing:


The scab:


Post-scab (about 5 days before the wedding):


Our accident-prone, sensitive-skinned child also got neosporin action to other body parts besides his nose every night before bedtime. He got a good dose to each big toe along with a bandaid and sock due to cracking (Utah is a desert). He scraped his left shin almost to the bone on a wood playset, and several other mishaps. We're just grateful that we had zero ER trips this time. Mick gave us a slight scare the day before we drove to Salt Lake when he burned his hand on the stove.

Sam's nightly medical routine:


Mick's nightly routine consisted of lotion foot massages (he even fell asleep once):


Fourth of July was actually a little cool (we cuddled in blankets to watch fireworks):


Mick tried hard to figure out how Pa used his thumb to make the water go far. He helped water the plants and practiced every night.


Melissa and I made fun cupcakes for the reunion (which I have no pictures of - argh).


We spent many days swimming with cousins.


We hiked to escape the heat. I loved this little hike to the waterfall seen here. I can't remember the name right now, but thanks Trav for carrying Mick. Flip flops are not safe when carrying an infant across slippery rocks.


Mick got too wet for his liking. He wasn't very mad until I got the camera out to take his picture instead of picking him up and comforting him.


Jordan and Caitlyn got married on July 16th in the Rexburg, Idaho Temple. Aren't they cute?


I played photographer for awhile until I had to get rid of some yahoos in the background. Can you see the showoff on the terrace?


I love that yahoo!


Caitlyn - if you ever need to vent, we're here for you girl. We got lots of experience being married to a scow boy.


The fam. Don't my boys look adorable in bow ties. Like little ice cream parlor boys.


Can't go to Idaho in the summer without doing a little water recreation:


"Hi. My name's Josh."


Waiting for Old Faithful to go off in Yellowstone National Park on our long drive back to Minnesota.




Mount Rushmore, July 2010


We all stood by our "birth-state." Mick showed his true colors.


Mount Rushmore, July in the not too distant future:


Also, yesterday and today I was officially welcomed home by the local chapter of the Rochester Earwig Committee. They live in my mailbox and love to say hello when I get my mail.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Miss you and your cute family. My sister whose son has to wear classes, swears by Walmart cause you can get them fixed anywhere. So impressed with the healling of the nose.

Whitney said...

Fun update -- and you look fabulous in those wedding photos. See you when we get back in August.

Elise said...

Looks like a fantastic trip girl! Hope the rest of the summer is just as fun. Keep the posts coming!!!

Michelle said...

I love love love all the pics, and stories to go along with it all! Ear wigs! aahhh!!!!! You are so funny Carrie, and you are looking fabulous! love you!