Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Trip to the Emergency Room

Max made a trip to the emergency room on Tuesday night. He had been inconsolable all day long and I finally noticed a swollen testicle that night when I gave him a bath. I didn't notice anything during the diaper changes and just chalked his extreme fussiness up to a possible ear infection or giving him the wrong formula. Nope. Turns out he has an inguinal hernia. Poor kid - I felt horrible when I found out. He was so pale and in so much pain. They gave him some morphine in the ER and pushed the hernia back in over an hour's time. Next he was admitted for monitoring overnight. He's scheduled to have an operation this upcoming Tuesday. Everyone involved in the surgery knows Jeff since he was on that pediatric surgery rotation a couple of years ago.

This is Max the next morning. He's a pretty pleasant fellow when he's pain-free.



Max's room at the hospital:



My bed by the window. I'm really looking forward to "sleeping" at the hospital again (hardly). It actually was really weird taking care of only one baby.

5 comments:

Mrs Starling said...

Oh dear!!! This is not good at all!! Holler if there's anything we can do to help... And don't beat yourself up about it...

cassi said...

Oh Carrie! I'm so sorry! How can I help?

Paul/Heather said...

so sad! I am sorry. Poor little guy...and mom. :)

[BrookeO] said...

Oh I am so sorry. Wish I could help you!

Michelle said...

oh my gosh! Carrie! I'm so glad that everything is okay now, but I'm sure it was a rough few days. Poor little guy! That couch looked so comfy! ;)