Sunday, December 12, 2010

We're Alive...and Living in a (Frigid) Winter Wonderland

This weather update was from 10:30 last night:

ROCHESTER
Temperature: 3
Humidity: 65%
Wind: NNW @ 22 mph, gusting to 35 mph
Sky: Blowing Snow
Blizzard conditions will make getting anywhere this evening, overnight, and Sunday morning most likely impossible. 8-12" ON TOP of what's already fallen (4-12") will be possible by Sunday morning. As the wind continues to intensify over the next several hours, we will have wind gusts pushing 50mph and whiteout conditions most likely. DO NOT GO OUT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Wind chills will fall close to -20 to -30 overnight and stay that way for Sunday, with highs struggling to get to the zero mark. Blowing snow will be likely on Sunday, but the accumulating snow will end, and we'll probably have cold sunshine by the afternoon. Sunday night will be frigid, as will Monday. Please stay safe this evening.

TODAY'S TEMPERATURE
Hi -2 F
Lo -9 F

Here are some pictures of the snow and one of our angel neighbors who plowed three times (twice yesterday and once today). This first picture was what I saw when I opened the back door to throw a dirty diaper out. Nice snow wall, eh?

19.5 inches - not all from yesterday, but most of it.
This picture shows how the sidewalk disappeared overnight. The left is plowed and the right is not.
I don't know where anymore snow is going to fit and it's only December. January and February are worse. The snow never melts here like it did growing up in Utah. This stuff will be around for a while.
Our front steps disappeared too. They're suppose to be on the left of our landscaping platforms.
Thank goodness for kind neighbors! They did our driveway and sidewalks along with six other houses.



If anybody wants a White Christmas, you know where to come. It's getting here that's the hard part. My friend, Michelle, loves to hear about our winter adventures. I hope this satisfies, and I hope Maryland gets some white stuff too!

2 comments:

cassi said...

that measurement pic is impressive!

Michelle said...

ha! I was just sitting here with my jaw dropped reading about the temperature! It's only 30 here today, and I'm freezing! (although I only leave to walk and pick damon up from the bus - which is about a 1 minute walk outside!)
then I saw my name at the bottom! ha! We had a tiny skiff of snow this morning and Damon was sooo excited. We'll be in Utah next week! Wish you'd be there too!
this weather update definitely satisfied! haha!